Job Satisfaction is a very important factor, and is connected to the productivity of companies,
What are the characteristics of job satisfaction? there are multiple: “easy” communication with management, recognition, safe environment, flexibility, good work-life balance etc.
This is true for companies and obviously also for healthcare workers, who may be subjected to a high level of stress and responsibility.
Frequent staff turnover is a sign of low satisfaction, but different strategies can be adopted to increase workers’ wellbeing and happiness (with a consequent positive impact on productivity).
1) scheduling methodology: the balance between work and private life is fundamental for the satisfaction of the worker, an organization can try a traditional scheduling or a self-scheduling, the important thing is that you create a functional balance.
2) availability of resources: a number of staff must always be present, can be integrated with an appropriate scheduling by studying the workflows and checking which are the peaks, we must avoid having a lack of staff.
3) Reduction of last-minute recruitment: the recruitment of resources is always possible, but if you can apply the recommendations in point 1 and 2, recruitment instead of being last-minute can be well planned.
4) fair policy: this avoids frustration among colleagues, uniform rules and practices to avoid dispiritities and feelings of envy.
5) transparency: you can decide to make public information such as scheduling work shifts, or some communications, both within the department and between different departments (depending on the situation).
if you are interested, take a look to the article on healtmanagement.org.